A many passionate teachers sacrifice their time and dig into their own pockets to do great stuff for their beloved students. Sometimes, the community benefits as well. While it is important to remain humble, I believe the recognition and grant bestowed upon a teacher will be advantageous and more positive things can be done for the school/ community. Apart from that, taking time to develop one’s knowledge and skills is important too. It allows you to broaden your mind and be a better teacher professionally.
1. The Global Teacher Prize is a US $1 million award presented annually to an exceptional teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to their profession.
2. If you are a teacher in a Commonwealth country, aged between 18-29 years old and have a project that will benefit the community, do apply for the Queen’s Young Leaders Grant.
3. The International Leaders in Education Program (ILEP) brings teachers from 16 different countries to experience a semester in a university in the United States annually. Malaysian teachers have had this wonderful opportunity for 10 years now! 🙂 Once you become an ILEP alum, you will be eligible to compete for a grant.
4. Teachers in the ASEAN region should not miss the chance to attend an 11-week program conducted by Universiti Brunei Darussalam and East-West Center.
5. If you are looking East and wish to be immersed in another culture, try this. 6. American graduates from different fields can give the Fulbright ETA program a go. My first school hosted 3 ETAs and I think it is a wonderful program. Just be ready for the celebrity status you will get in the school.
7. American teachers who want to see the world, this one’s for you.